Partner - BelfastLegal Area: Employment & Incentives
Gareth has been practising as a specialist employment lawyer now since 2000 and has built a strong team around him which reflects his reputation for excellence in contentious and non-contentious work.
He represents a number of local, national and international brands in business support, strategic workforce planning and high profile tribunal matters with significant experience in redundancy and re-structuring.
Gareth acts for UTV plc in a variety of matters including an obligatory divisional restructuring following an Ofcom determination advising on independent licensing requirements, Allstate NI on matters of corporate governance and tribunal representation and GlaxoSmithKline on an SPV joint venture, as well as for a large number of local and national enterprises, public and private sector entities, charities and high profile individuals.
Gareth is also an accomplished commercial litigator with particular emphasis on procurement challenges and judicial review, having represented Federal Security Services (Noonan) in the judicial review of the award of civil service support services for the PSNI, and the Utilities Regulator for Northern Ireland in the Single Electricity Market infrastructure and implementation.
- "his response times are superb and his legal knowledge cannot be faulted," "has fantastic interpersonal and presenting skills." (Chambers UK 2017)
- "reassuring and confident. He remains calm and always delivers results." (Chambers UK 2016)
- "easy to deal with and is regarded as both commercially astute and a strong litigator by his peers. Clients recognise his strength in employment litigation and describe him as professional, responsive and pragmatic." (Chambers UK 2015)
- He is "one of the best employment lawyers in Northern Ireland", providing "hard-hitting, robust advice." (Chambers UK 2014)
- LLB (Hons), Sheffield University, 1996
- Solicitor, Law Society of Northern Ireland 2002
- Solicitor, Law Society of England and Wales 2000
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Group
- Northern Ireland Representative for the Employment Law Alliance
- Council Member of the European Employment Lawyers Association
- A CEDR Accredited Mediator.