What We’re Looking For
We don’t just look for people who are academically high achievers or limit applicants to those who have studied law. We accept degrees from all disciplines.
It is also important to us that you can work as part of a team, are motivated, have initiative and have clear expectations of your future.
The following are some of the key qualities and attributes we look for in our lawyers:
Intellectual Ability, Judgement & Commercial Awareness
- Strong and consistent academic performance.
- Seeks to understand the big picture.
- Strategic thinking.
- Interest in and understanding of business and current affairs.
Ability to build relationships
- Approachable and open. Builds rapport easily.
- Energetic and positive.
- Presents professionally.
- Can work effectively in a team, to accomplish a task or goal.
- Personal presence.
Commitment to Career
- Understands what a corporate law firm does, clear knowledge of what A&LG does and what differentiates A&LG.
- Appreciates the relationship between a corporate law firm and the business community.
- Clear, specific reasons for career choice.
- Commitment to a career in corporate law.
- Understands the role and what's expected of a Trainee.
- Fully appreciates the commitment required to succeed in a corporate law firm.
Motivation & Initiative
- Consistently a top performer in a range of areas.
- Takes initiative, ownership and accepts responsibility enthusiastically.
- Seeks to understand the big picture. Thinks beyond the next step. Naturally inquisitive.
- Seeks out challenging experiences.
- Ambitious and hungry to succeed.
- Confident and engaging.
- Expressive and concise.
- Logical and clear thinking.
- Forthright and honest.
- Effectively balances multiple demands - can prioritise.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Calm under pressure.
- Not thrown by the unexpected.
- Can deal with ambiguity.
- Appreciates the importance of process within the role.
- Can deal with repetition, producing a consistently high standard of work.
- Can recognise, admit and learn from mistakes.